Hello To the exchange! If you receive this in your inbox, thank you for signing up and for your vote of confidence. If you’re reading this as a post on our site, sign up over here So you can receive it directly in the future. Each week, I’ll take a look at the most important fintech news of the past week. This will include everything from funding rounds to trends to analysis of a specific space to hot offers on a particular company or phenomenon. There is a lot of fintech news, and it’s my duty to stay informed – and understand – so you can stay informed. – Mary Ann
Mark Goldberg was a partner in Index Ventures Since 2015, she has invested in – and served on the boards of – financial services companies such as Plaid, Persona, Lithic, Cocoon and Pilot. Currently, Goldberg leads the leading fintech company, and he has a lot of ideas about what’s on the horizon for startups operating in the space today.
I recently (virtually) sat down with Mark to talk about all things fintech, and luckily for me, he’s not afraid to speak his mind! Here are highlights of that conversation (edited for brevity and clarity).
TC: How do you say this year’s fundraising environment is different from the previous one (besides the obvious, of course)?
MG: The raw measurement I’ve been using internally is last year the party and this year it’s a hangover. That’s how I really feel – that we’re starting to understand the excesses of the past year. We have now seen the downgrade period after the fact. At Index, we’re probably investing more aggressively in what we think the next generation of fintech companies will be like now.
Oh yes? So, what do you think the next generation of fintech companies will be?
It’s funny because if you look at my portfolio, a lot of what I invest in is the fintech infrastructure side…I probably have five or six investments in picks and shovels. I think there’s flexibility there, but it’s also a function of the inherent volatility or lack of volatility on the infrastructure side of the market.
This year, and that’s somewhat more paradoxical, I’ve been spending a lot of time researching early-stage consumer finance, which I think is probably the most — well, I don’t know, maybe this or cryptocurrency — an unpopular category or subcategory of fintech. today.
But I think that’s exactly where the opportunity arises when we’re on the other side of this hype cycle, especially when I think about how people will do banking five or 10 years from now.
I think one of the lasting effects of the pandemic is that people want to do banking from their phones – not walk down the street and go to a branch or get in the car and go to a branch. I think there will be this massive shift in consumer finance. Yes, a lot of things have been overestimated in the last year, but I think we’ll see a total shift from old goalkeeper to new one in the next few years, and that could be a really good entry point when we look back. .
What do you think is the biggest trend happening in fintech right now?
One of the lasting things from last year’s transgressions will be this fusion between fintech and culture, which I think is probably the most interesting trend that’s happening in fintech that will outlast a bull market and a bear market. I think it just changed the market.
I think the best example of this is the Cash app in the Block ecosystem, where there is a clothing store. In fact, as a joke, a group of my hedge fund friends sent me a bunch of their clothes. In the world of Wall Street banking, you’d never wear a Morgan Stanley or Goldman Sachs shirt to a party. But Gen Zs buy clothes from Cash App and wear them.
And there’s a really fun commercial that Cash App just put out with Kendrick Lamar and Ray Dalio from Bridgewater, which I think is quite emblematic of this fusion of pop culture, hip-hop, and fintech consumption.
So whether we’re in a high market or a low market, the advantage the new bank has over the old one is that it’s not overburdened by 1,000 retail locations. I think the biggest opportunity for the next generation of new banks is the fact that they can compete in this brand war with an authentic voice that consumers really care about.
What do you expect to happen in the short and long term?
High, still a slower year for fintech. The speed of deals overall is down 75% since its peak last year. If I saw four deals last year, now I see one. I think this is actually healthy for everyone.
If you look at my portfolio, I don’t have any companies raising money at the moment because they all grew up last year and have three years of runway, they’re just building and it should grow at the valuations they set last year.
On the investor side, it’s really good to not have a gun in your head within 48 hours to decide on a big investment. What we do now is take our time working around the areas we are interested in, what the best companies are, and spend time with the founder in a way that seems healthier than it has been in the year. Ago. I expect this to be kind of a new benchmark for the next few quarters.
But there are deals being made, especially in the early stages. We spend a lot of time trying to figure out not just who’s raising the money, but mainly which companies we could go to and propose a steady round of appraisal in 2021 that would say yes.
If you take a long-term view, I think next year – like the middle of the year – the market will really reopen in a big way.
It is clear that the IPO market has dried up. What do you think will happen on the merger and acquisition front?
I think we’re going to see a lot of mergers and acquisitions, a lot of mergers heading towards the end of the year and over the next six months. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see one or two mega deals where there are people who thought they had a strong, independent path and are now looking at where the public market companies are trading and saying, ‘This is a much tougher path overall than I expected.
So if you have a direct competitor, and you spend all of your time fighting that direct competitor, that might be the kind of catalyst you need to say, ‘Let’s stop fighting when the opportunity is 98% of the market we can hook up.’ And I think we’re starting to have these conversations. right Now.
On that note, then, I think the other thing is that the next wave of infrastructure is going to be toward one big store that happens to sell 10 products, not 10 companies that sell one product.
Image credits: Index Ventures
Weekly news
As Anita Ramaswamy stated: “Investment application stashwhich last raised $125 million from investors in its Series G round last year, is adding crypto to the suite of products it offers to its 2 million users.” Co-Founder and President Ed Robinson also shared in an exclusive interview with TechCrunch that Stash’s latest annual revenue figure It is 125 million dollars.
From Aisha Malik of TC: “Venmo On Monday, PayPal-owned company announced the launch of a new feature called “Charity Profiles” that will allow charities to raise funds and receive donations directly through their app. The new profiles will be available to charities that have received confirmed charity status from PayPal.”
As Paul Sawers reported: “The insurance giant in New York Lemonade Officially launched in the UK, it is the 4th market in Europe and 5th overall, with a little help from one of the UK’s oldest and largest insurance providers.
From TC’s Manish Singh: “The Central Bank of Pakistan on Friday canceled the initial approval and trial process for the logo card To act as an electronic financial institution in a move that poses an existential threat to the company. The State Bank of Pakistan said in an order that it is revoking Tag’s approval to operate as an electronic financial institution, the permission required for entities to offer low-value, innovative, user-friendly and cost-effective digital payment tools such as wallets, cards and contactless payment. The central bank also ordered the startup to close all customer wallet accounts and withdraw its apps from app stores with immediate effect.”
From Jacqueline Milink: “As traditional financial institutions continue to mingle with the cryptocurrency world, visa It is the latest to expand its offering into the space, this time working in tandem with a cryptocurrency exchange FTX For a “long-term global partnership”. The agreement between the two companies consists of offering FTX-branded Visa debit cards to FTX customers globally with a focus on introducing plastics in Latin America, Europe and Asia. The same product is currently available to US customers after it was announced at the beginning of this year.”
As reported by WealthProfessional: “Two of Canada’s most popular fintech startups, Wealthsimple and Shakepay, have been accused of misrepresenting the true costs of their crypto services. A lawsuit, filed on September 29 in the Supreme Court of Quebec, is seeking The two companies receive punitive damages of $10 million each for misleading users, according to a report by BetaKit. The proposed class action has yet to be authorized by a Quebec court.”
Late last week, Bloomberg reported that Robinhood “Five more offices will close partially or completely, which is the last step in a comprehensive reform process to rein in expenditures as they adjust to the sharp contraction in trading activity.”
breezeThe online disability insurance company has announced the launch of Leave From Breeze, a paid parental leave insurance solution for employers to support employees who need to take time away from work to care for their families. In a press release, the company said that the addition “enhances the ready-made online Breeze platform, which already includes short-term disability insurance, two types of long-term disability insurance, and critical illness insurance.”
Brazilian digital mortgage provider Volpi It says it has posted 400% quarterly growth over the past year and is partnering with RBR Asset with plans to fund up to $30 million for its clients over the next 12 months.
Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions
Seen on TechCrunch
Real estate investment app Fintor raised $6.2 million with a valuation of $80 million
Jiko is offering $40 million in Series B funding to provide companies with a way to deposit their money in treasury bills
Railsr, the fintech company formerly known as Railsbank, raises $46 million
Fiserv and LG back Korean credit data as SME-focused Fintech startup raises another $24.7 million
Bessemer supports the SaaS platform that automates the billing workflow
and in other places
Debt platform Tally announces $80 million Series D, saying it nearly tripled ARR last year
Equi earns $15 million to improve access to ‘elite investment’
Solvento, which aims to level the playing field for trucking companies in Latin America, raises $5 million in seed round
Jingle Pay, a massive financial app based in the UAE, receives a minority investment from MoneyGram
Did you know I co-host the Equity podcast from TechCrunch every Friday with Alex Wilhelm and Natasha Mascarenhas?? We have a lot of fun – you can listen here. The three of us will actually be on the capsule right at the TechCrunch Disrupt, which is just around the corner! Come and hang out with us! There will be breakfast! To get a 15% discount on Disrupt tickets, head here.
Well, that’s it for this week. Thanks again for reading! Until next time, xoxo – Mary Ann
Originally published at San Jose News Bulletin
No comments:
Post a Comment